Thursday, July 28, 2016

Rosedale resident concerns

Some of my best writing is when I am emotional about something, and after reading yesterday's tweets, I became emotional and angry.

Let me tell you about the people who live in affordable housing.

|There is 1 lady who has a daughter with Down Syndrome. She is tube fed. Mom cannot work and has so many doctor's appointment's to take her daughter to she won't be able to work.

Another neighbor has a job cleaning houses. She looks after her aging mother and I believe 3 or 4 children with a job that pays a little over minimum wage.

Another lady I met at a meeting last night has two teenage boys and works for Calgary Transit.

A lady down the street works 2 part-time jobs as a care worker. Has 2 children and is a single mom.

A few houses down from me is a lady who teaches people financial management.

Have we had our share of problems in our neighborhood? Yes. Like with any neighborhood. It is no different than living in Chestermere with a possible grow-up two houses down from you.

But we look after our yards. We look out for our neighbors. We do not cause problems.

All we want to do is live our lives the best we can with what we have. We want our children to have a safe, warm, loving place to grow up in. We want them to grow up to be healthy and productive citizens. We want to give them the best chance in life that we can.

Tell me, do these pictures of our yards look like they are not cared for? Tell me why it's not OK for us and our families to live in your neighborhood and amongst other contributing members of society?

I was disgusted and appalled by the comments of Rosedale residents I saw on Social Media. As a fellow Calgarian, I expected better by my fellow Calgarian's.

I know as a City and as a community we are better than stigma. Tell me, does this grass NOT look "taken care of"?

This is not representative of our Calgary.



No comments:

Post a Comment